We are delighted to share with you our ‘Guest Guide & Interactive Map’. This informative guide map of the southern area of Dumfries & Galloway helps bring the area to life. It showcases where everything can be found in relation to our holiday cottages and designed to help inspire guests with ideas and make their plans for their holiday and stay at Ross Bay Retreat.
Where to Explore – Inspiration & Ideas
The local area guest guide and Google map includes a range of options and categories for where to ‘Explore’, ‘Eat & Drink’ and ‘See & Do’:
- Pubs & Restaurants
- Tearooms, Cafés & Coffee Shops
- Places of Interest
- Historic Sites
- National Park Visitor Centre’s & Nature Reserves
- Local Visitor Attractions
Each listing under each category has a simple description along with Google map link providing simple guided directions, time and distance to get there from your location by car, bike or on foot.
We have included a selection of our favourite haunts, including popular and local pubs, restaurants, cafes and tea rooms. In addition we have included a number of great places to visit, fun activities, picnic locations, historic buildings and visitor attractions for all the family.
Viewpoints, Beaches & Lighthouses
There is a lighthouse on the our local island of Little Ross and an excellent viewpoint up at Meikle Ross almost on our doorstep. A number of other lighthouses which adorn the rugged local coastline. There are also some excellent viewpoints which look across the Solway Firth to Cumbria and the Lake District and on clear days you can see over to the Isle of Man.
We are lucky to have some superb local beaches many of which are dog friendly with parking nearby. The closest to Ross Bay is of course our very our beach but you can also check out Dhoon Beach, walk to Brighouse Bay Beach and a short drive to Carrick Beach.
Inspiring Visitor Attractions
If you wish to venture out from the delights of Ross Bay there is something for everyone not too far away. From enjoying the wildlife and countryside by walking with Alpacas or following the Red Kite Trail. You can spoil yourselves at with locally produced ice cream at Cream o Galloway or enjoy a choccy fest at the Cocobean Company chocolate factory. Art lovers will enjoy the Kirkcudbright Galleries and Designs Gallery and Café.
For ideas to ‘See & Do’ around Kirkcudbright, the Visit Scotland website has some excellent recommendations.
Guest Favourites & Local Recommendations
Many of these locations and listings are our guest favourites and we include a few of our own local recommendations. There are a number of excellent local pubs, great restaurants, popular cafes and tea rooms we have enjoyed in both Kirkcudbright & Mill of Fleet. We hope our guests will be able to enjoy them too.
This interactive Google map and handy guide can be used before guests arrive or during their stay. This can help guests plan and find out what a wonderful selection places to visit whilst on holiday at Ross Bay Retreat.
We will endeavour to update the map with new ‘findings’. We have probably missed a few local gems and hidden secrets. Please us know if we have forgotten anything?
Useful Related Links & Posts
- Fresh Local Produce, Farm Shops, Seafood, Distilleries & Craft Breweries – https://rossbayretreat.com/2022/01/ross-bay-retreat-fresh-local-produce/
- Great Days Out – Follow the Galloway Red Kite Trail – https://rossbayretreat.com/2022/05/the-galloway-red-kite-trail/
- Dog Walking Holidays at Ross Bay Retreat – https://rossbayretreat.com/2022/09/dog-walking-holidays-at-ross-bay-retreat/
- 8 Great Places to Visit in and Around Kirkcudbright – https://rossbayretreat.com/2023/04/8-great-places-to-visit-near-kirkudbright/
- 6 Great Outdoor Activities in & around Kirkcudbright for the Adventurous – https://rossbayretreat.com/2023/05/6-great-outdoor-adventurous-activities-near-kirkcudbright/