Explore Ross Bay & Dumfries & Galloway
We are so lucky to have so much to see and do right on our doorstep here at Ross Bay. Here are some of our guest’s favourite places to visit and our local recommendations. Fancy heading out for a bite to eat or drink, there are some of our favourite places to enjoy locally.
We hope very much that our guests have a wonderful time in our beautiful part of Scotland. Anything we can do to help you find where to go, what to do and locate our hidden secrets and local gems, just ask.
Most Popular Cafes & Tea Rooms
- Mulberries tearoom, Kirkcudbright
- The Galleries Cafe, Kirkcudbright
- Galloway Lodge, Gatehouse of Fleet
- Designs Cafe, Castle Douglas
- The Old School House Tearoom at Ringford
Most Popular Pubs
- Selkirk Arms Hotel, Kirkcudbright
- Kirkcudbright Bay Hotel, Kirkcudbright
- Borgue Hotel, Borgue – Coastal village hotel, pub, restaurant
- Mr Pooks Kitchen, Castle Douglas – Creative cooking of local produce
- The Masonic, Gatehouse of Fleet – Gastro pub with great selection of beers, real ales & Scottish whiskies.
Most Popular Activities
- Galloway Activity Centre – Watersports, archery, zip wire, family activities and so much more
- Finlays Cream o’ Galloway Farm – home of luxurious dairy Cream o’ GallowayIce Cream, made with organic milk
- Cocoabean Chocolate Company – Devoted to chocolate, family-run Cocoabean have made a children’s paradise out of their factory
- Climbing Screel or Criffel
- Enjoying the local beaches – Dhoon bay, Carrick, Brighouse Bay, Mossyard
Most Popular Visitor Attractions
- Red Deer Range, Galloway Forest Park – Enjoy spotting deer and other wildlife from the shelter of the hide
- Red kites at Bellymack Farm – Red kites have been congregating at Bellymack Hill Farm since 2001 when they were reintroduced to Galloway
- Dark Space Planetarium, Kirkcudbright – Brand new, state of the art interactive experience for all ages. If you love gazing at the stars in the night sky or wondered what its like to be in space the superb planetarium is a great place to visit.
Most Popular Child Friendly Attractions
- Ernespie Farm Park – woodland walks, bouncy cushions, climbing frames, animal feeding and even tractor driving
- Dalscone Farm Fun – Exciting outdoor play areas and an animal petting farm
- Mabie Farm Park – Small amusement park with quad bikes, paddle boats & a long slide, plus trampolines & a petting zoo
- From the holiday cottages & up on the hills at Ross Bay (but we are somewhat biased)
- Cliff top coastal path at Balcary, Auchencairn
Best Local Walk
Best Bike Hire
- Laws in Kirkcudbright – Outdoor clothing specialist & bike hire
- The Brakepad Bike Shop at Kirroughtree– mountain biking & well marked forest trails
Best Local Farm Shop
Enjoy your time at Ross Bay in Dumfries & Galloway.
From Us All at Ross Bay Retreat